U60 LEAGUE RULES
All games will be played in accordance with official Collegiate Rules with the following local exceptions:
Minimum Number of Players: We do our best to poll attendance and ensure enough players before scheduling a game but a minimum of eight (8) players must be present to start a game.
- We use real umpires.
- A game may consist of seven (7) or nine (9) innings depending on roster size or player exhaustion levels.
- There is no mercy rule; sometimes we don't even know what the score is.
- Defensive substitutions may be made liberally
- Glove: Bring your own.
- Helmets: Batters and runners must wear helmets. Helmets are provided. Bring your own if you're afraid of sharing or have a really, really big head.
- Shoes: Metal or plastic spikes are allowed. Or other athletic footwear. No flip-flops.
- Catcher's Gear: Catcher's glove and all protective gear is provided. Or bring your own if navy/vegas gold or scarlet/royal blue is not your color.
- Protective Cup: Recommended. You should bring your own and not plan to share the club's, which is attached to the trophy.
- Bats: Wood or metal. Bring your own or use ours. We have an assortment of Rawlings 5150 (-3)from 32-34 in.
- Baseballs: Game balls are provided.
- The pitcher should probably pitch no more than four (4) innings per game, mostly because they're exhausted after two (2).
- Balks: Balks are called.
- If a pitcher hits 3 batters in an appearance he will apologize to the batters and his teammates.
- Pitching Distance: The pitching distance will be sixty feet, six inches.
- Breaking Pitches: Breaking pitches may be thrown, even if they don't break.
- Strike Zone: Pitches should be thrown in the general vicinity of this.
- Batting Order: All players who appear for the game will be included in the batting order. If a player arrives late, that player will be inserted into the lineup as the last batter when he arrives.
- Rule 60.12.1a aka "the batting last" rule. Any player wearing sunglasses upside down on the brim of their hat will automatically bat last.
- Eye black, see rule 60.12.1a
- Bats: Anything legal in HS, Collegiate.
- Fake Bunt and Swing Away: Fake bunt and then swinging at the pitch will not be allowed. Really, any kind of bunting is cruel, but it is allowed.
- Batters should lay off the high inside pitches. These generate lots of foul balls. Baseballs are expensive and the woods have poison ivy.
Base Running Rules
- Sliding: Are you crazy?? But if you must, go for it.
- Stealing Base: Stealing of all bases, including home, is allowed; and advancement may be made on an overthrow at the runner’s risk.
- Courtesy Runner: Often this is a necessity.
- Uncaught 3rd Strike: A batter can advance to first base on a uncaught 3rd strike (passed ball or dropped by the catcher). Most realize it is 90' away and choose not to.
Awards and Trophy
The one-of-a-kind trophy and awards are handed out after the Commissioner's Cup game in late July.